Wednesday, May 21, 2008

20th & 21st May

When I got off work last night I took a bike and headed home to change. After I changed I headed over to the intern house and talked with 3 of the roadies about their trip and what they thought about everything they saw. It felt like they had just gotten here but it had already been 10 day and they were heading down to Jinja to go rafting on the Nile river before flying home. It was funny to listen to them and how they felt about finally getting to see everything they made happen by touring for the last 4 months. I feel like I jumped right into work here so I never really got to see what IC is doing here in the same way. I think that sometime I just see this as work and what I need to do next and I forget how we are doing this for and why we are here. It was nice to remember all of that and made me feel a little better about being here so far away from everyone I have been missing so much. As the other roadies arrived back from the orphanage we all went in to the kitchen and got some dinner. It was Mexican night so we were all really excited. Doreen had made fresh tortillas, rice, beans, and shredded chicken with pineapple and banana bread for desert. It got really quiet for a couple of minutes as everyone ate the amazing food. As the conversations started to pick back up some of the mentors, S4S (schools for schools) staff and Jolly showed for the farewell dinner. We sat around and Jolly told us stories of her first trips to the US and other trips into the bush trying to track down people with the film makers. A couple of hours later after all of the mentors Jolly and S4S staff left Sarah and I decided to take off and walk home to the staff house. I said bye to all of the roadies and headed home. I got into bed and watched a couple episodes of the West Wing on my laptop and went to bed.

I woke up this morning and didn't want to get out of bed. The power was still on so the fan was still blowing and the idea of a cold shower didn't help motivate me to get out of bed. I got up after hitting the snooze once and got into the shower. The water heater was still burnt out so I took a shower as fast a possible. I got out and got dressed and rushed over to the intern house for breakfast so I wouldn't be late for work. When I got there Vanessa was the only person around. All the roadies, Tiffany and Jamiee had left on the early bus to Jinja and David, Sarah, and Kelly were running late so it was just Vanessa and I. Doreen had made fruit salad and a type if fried pastry almost like a dough nut with no flavor so I ate quickly, jumped on the bike and headed for work. When I got in I saw the Sarah had finished her part of editing the S4S round one school purchases. We (logistics - my department) has to order all the supplies for our 10 beneficiary schools. Each school submitted a list of supplies they are going to need for the next school year. I has spent the last 2 weeks entering all of their hand written lists into excell so we could sort them and consolidate everything to make the quotes and purchasing process easier. Sarah put everything in categories so I now had to sort the list and get it ready to sent it out to vendors for quotes. I spent the whole morning making sense of the lists and got a copy of it for Sarah and Jolly to look over one last time before we send it out. David (the IT Director from San Diego that has been out for the last 2 weeks) and I headed to Kope Cafe for lunch around 130. I ordered the Chicken Tikka with roasted potatoes and chapatti. David and I talked about the IT issues we were still having and what his plan was to fix as much as possible before he has to leave and go back to San Diego next week. We got our food 45 minutes later and it was really good. We headed back to the office and I got back to work on the list. I pretty much spent the rest of the day working on the list and some transportation issues we have for next week. It is now almost 5 so I am going to pack up and head home.

I am going to try to do these daily or at least every other day. I really do miss all of you at home and will talk to you soon.

Guard

No comments: